Subject: device not configured when newfs'ing
To: None <STEVE@argonaut.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/06/1995 14:17:39
> From: Black Ice <STEVE@argonaut.com>
> Date:          Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:06:46 GMT

> > Hi, all -- I'm trying to set up a hard drive for a sun3/60 and whenever I
> > try to newfs or disklabel or whatever a partition other than c
> > (/dev/rsd0c) it kicks out an error "Device not configured".  I'm
> > thoroughly lost.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please write
> > directly to cabaye@asu.edu.  Thanks a ton...

As Corey Adam suggested, verify that it is partitioned.  (see below)

> As for how to do it - umm... isn't it the 'format' command under SunOS?

The command is 'disklabel' - and be warned that the sun3 needs some
translations done by the kernel for bootable disks,  so you must not
use any of the options that cause disklabel to use "raw" access.
(do not use the -r flag on Sun machines)  Just do:

	disklabel -e /dev/rsd0c		(or other *c device)

I have a new, simpiler replacment for disklabel (called edlabel)
that looks pretty much like the "partition" command in the old
SunOS format program.  This is what the install tape will use.

Gordon