Subject: Xwindows help
To: None <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/06/1995 14:08:16
> Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 22:25:35 +0100
> From: Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>

[ quoted material removed ]
> Well, I am using NetBSD on my Sun3 as I don't have a copy of SunOS
> (interesting point - since I have a kosher Sun3/50, presumably I am (by
> definition?) licensed to run SunOS), but the impression I get is that SunOS
> would be rather faster (mind you, I am NFS booting it diskless at the
> moment, so I'm not that surprised its slow.  A friend sent neko and eyes
> and a desktop to me via X last night, and they took a while...).

There are many factors affecting performance (and ways to measure them).
NetBSD/sun3 does fairly well on CPU-intensive work (i.e. Xsun) mostly
because we have a better compiler (gcc) than the SunOS 4.1.1 compiler.

On the other hand, the current SCSI driver does not make any attempt
to be fast, so disk performance is atrocious.  There is a better SCSI
driver in the works, but it's not quite ready for "prime time"...

> While I'm on the subject - when I halt my machine, I complains it can't
> unmount / - error 16.  It unmounts swap and /usr fine...

Hmmm... Haven't seen that.  Is everything up-to-date?

Gordon