Subject: Re: device not configured when newfs'ing
To: Black Ice <STEVE@argonaut.com>
From: Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/06/1995 08:49:37
>> Hi, all -- I'm trying to set up a hard drive for a sun3/60 and whenever I
>> try to newfs or disklabel or whatever a partition other than c
>> (/dev/rsd0c) it kicks out an error "Device not configured".  I'm
>> thoroughly lost.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please write
>> directly to cabaye@asu.edu.  Thanks a ton...
>
>Just a wild stab in the dark since I need to get a SCSI cable (still) before
>I can get that far, but it _sounds_ as though the disk has no partition
>table, so only partition 'c' - the whole disk - can be accessed.
>By creating a partition table, you'll be able to set up how you want the disk
>divided, so it can be accessed properly later....
>
>As for how to do it - umm... isn't it the 'format' command under SunOS?  It's
>been a while since I had to do it, and my mind is a little hazy this morning.
>Besides, we're not talking SunOS here - but the command might be the same!
>Just do a 'man -k' for format or related thing.

Under SunOS, type format.  Hope your disk is shown.  Type the number.  Then
'partition'.  'print' will list existing partitions....  it is quite
self-documenting.

It is also possible to format it on a Mac (use a patched version of HD SC
Setup or a third-party utility like Spot On) or, probably, under NetBSD.
Under NetBSD the command is disklabel.  Personally, I had to format on the
mac and newfs under SunOS (on a SPARC) - I couldn't make BSD/newfs work.

Good Luck

Jules

>Good luck.
>Steve.
>
>--
>Two plus two does not equal five, even for moderately large values of two.

Maybe not, but for very large values of two, the value *tends* to five... ;-)

>--
>Steve Kersley, Assistant Network Services Manager & Postmaster,
>Argonaut Software and Argonaut Technologies Ltd, London, UK.
>Tel: +44 181 200 5777 or +44 181 358 2918.  Fax: +44 181 200 9866.

|  Jelibean aka  |                                 |  6 Evelyn Road        |
|  Jules aka     |  jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk  |  Richmond, Surrey     |
|  Julian Bean   |                                 |  TW9 2TF    *UK*      |
|  Three things hold a secret: A lady riding in a dream, the dog that      |
|  sounds no warning, and the maid who does not scream.                    |