Subject: Xserver and Unsupported keyboard type.
To: None <jtc@cygnus.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/08/1995 11:23:29
> Date: Tue, 08 Aug 1995 07:34:29 -0700
> From: "J.T. Conklin" <jtc@cygnus.com>

> I'm trying to use Gordon's x11r6 port, but am getting an "Unsupported
> keyboard type -1" error.  I mounted my x11 cdrom, and discovered that
> that message is printed in sunInit.c when the server fails to
> determine the keyboard type with the KIOCTYPE ioctl.
>
> Has anyone seen this error before?
>
> 	--jtc

If this happens, the keyboard driver is probably not successful when
it tries to reset the keyboard (which should cause the keyboard to
send back the "did reset" and "kb type" codes).

One reason reset could fail is a bad cable. (input only?)
Or perhaps the driver is buggy...   If the driver does not get
a "reasonable" keyboard ID, then it could safely assume type 3.

Gordon