Subject: Possible to install without SunOS?
To: None <msanders@confusion.net>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/16/1995 10:09:02
> From: "Michael K. Sanders" <msanders@confusion.net>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 21:19:05 -0400 (EDT)

> [ SunOS installation lost.  Wants to install NetBSD...]    So is
> there any way to install a bootable NetBSD/sun3 system on a disk, from
> another platform?

Everything you need is available except for a way to initialize the
disk label (which is translated to Sun PROM format by the kernel).
Some NetBSD platforms may have code to write Sun disklabels; at
least the NetBSD/sparc platform can (or SunOS on a SPARCstation).

> If all else fails, I might be able to comandeer a system somewhere to
> netboot from, and then install the disk.

This is the way I have always done it, since I have several machines.
The server can be almost anything that can handle NFS service, RARP,
and bootprarms RPC.  The procedure for this is in diskless(8).

Gordon Ross