Subject: have boot programs
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/10/1995 16:26:01
I just checked in boot programs for network and disk boot.
This means we don't need to use SYMTAB_SPACE anymore, and
no longer need to run dbsym after building the kernel.

One remaining problem though:  the disk boot (ufsboot)
does not work on the Sun3/260 (with a VME "si").
I'm not sure why yet.  If fails opening the PROM driver.

Speaking of which, the boot programs currently use the PROM drivers,
which is very convenient from a programming standpoint, but means you
can only load a kernel from the same place the boot program was loaded
from.  (This is a PROM limitation.)  It would be nice if we had "real"
drivers someday.  We have one for the standalone "le" but that's all.

If anyone wants these boot programs or sources before lamp comes
back on-line, let me know.  I can put things up for FTP here.

Gordon