Subject: Re: FYI: SIMM replacement
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: David Case <dcase@case.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/05/1995 14:26:01
On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, Gordon W. Ross wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 5 Jun 95 16:39:02 -0400
> > From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@eagle.dol-esa.gov>
>
> > My Sun 3/60 blew a SIMM (parity errors at boot.)  I replaced it the
> > same day with a 3-chip 70ms 1x9 from Egghead.  I just thought I'd
> > mention that it worked.  I could have probably got a better deal
> > (~$98US for 2 of them) if I wanted to wait.
> >
> > Ken
>
> Actually, 100 nS. is good enough for the 3/50 and 3/60
> (maybe even for the 3/2xx but I'm not sure).
>
> Gordon

Actually all the Sun machines up to the SPARCstation 1+ use 100ns (and
slower in some cases) ram. 80ns and 70ns work fine too but, beware of
60ns ram. I have had many problems getting away with 60ns SIMM in a few
of the Sun machines. The going price for a 1mb 100ns 9bit SIMM seems to
be about $15-$20 on the net so, don't waste your money on faster SIMM.

				David Case