Subject: Re: 3/50 Ethernet speed
To: None <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
From: John Messenger <John.Messenger@proteon.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/31/1995 11:27:58
>  > I mean, 2mbits for a sun3 isn't
>  > terrible...just for quick comparison (I haven't done a datailed
>  > analysis), an ftp between two 486-66 NetBSD-current machines with
>  > 16-bit SMC ethernet cards, both on the same relatively low-collision
>  > subnet achieves roughly 4.5mbits/sec.
>  >
>  	Thats weird, what happened to 10Mbit?

4.5mbit/sec is not too bad for machines on an Ethernet.  This is not
the right group for a discussion on the issues of LAN-type usable
bandwidth, overhead, driver efficiency, etc., but there are lots of
reasons that the achieved bandwidth is lots lower than the raw bit
rate.  [If you want a general discussion on this, I would recommend
newsgroup comp.dcom.lans.ethernet or comp.dcom.lans.misc.]

--
        -- John Messenger, Proteon International (jlm@proteon.com)
	   "Mind like parachute: only works when open" -- Charlie Chang