Subject: Re: previous declaration of `catclose'
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/26/1995 09:50:25
>>> It took my diskless Sun-3/260 about a week to do a full rebuild
>>> (everything except the kernel).
>> OUCH!  Hey, these things happen.
> The Sun3 is only a 20 MHz mc68020 (or 25MHz for the 3/260).  That,
> combined with small memory mean it will be slow doing compilation no
> matter what you run on it.

Actually, "small memory" does not apply.  The -3/260s I have have 16
megs of RAM, which is more than the SPARC I've been doing NetBSD/sparc
work on - it has 12Mb.  CPU speed is likely the limiting factor;
watching the Ethernet transceiver lights makes me think it is not
thrashing, because I'll see a cc line in the log, see a brief burst of
network activity on the transciever lights, and then a long (minutes,
often) silence while it crunches.  Then a burst of activity while it
writes out the results and does the next command....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu