Subject: Re: previous declaration of `catclose'
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: None <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/26/1995 11:19:52
> Well, it ain't that bad on all /260s - mine stayed up for a week at a
> stretch, twice in a row.  (Running the binary snapshot kernel (MD5
> checksum 6b9a54935a7c05155e7dd669a6226098).)  You must have some sort
> of hardware problem, or else your system is provoking a software bug
> mine isn't...'course, I don't have an xy disk at all.

This is not a software bug unless the bug is not initializing the cache
controller properly.

When inspecting a crash dump, you will find part of a stack frame followed
by a register save.  Inspection of the area reveals that a register was
loaded from a place on the stack, but has a different value when saved maybe
six instructions later.  This is not a software problem.

To make matters worse, it appears that my CPU board went toast a couple of
days ago.  I had swapped it with a friend's to determine if there was a
hardware problem.  We got my board running on his 260 with Xkernel, so I went
home.  Half an hour later he calls me up to say that his keyboard and mouse
locked up, and the red LED on the mouse is not lighting up!  Even rebooting
didn't help.  It looks like no power is getting to keyboard and mouse.
I'm gonna try the board in my machine when I get it back, but it looks like
I'll have to get a new on.

On another subject, assume that I have a CPU board that used to be in a 260
with a 1600x1280 hi-res monitor, so the EEPROM is set to use the on-board
bwtwo.  I have a cgtwo and lo-res monitor.  How can I, without additional
hardware, get this to work?  Right now, it goes to the bwtwo and I get
a blank screen - unable to enter monitor to see what I'm doing.  Should I
just be typing blind?

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key