Subject: Re: previous declaration of `catclose'
To: Kenneth E. Stailey <kstailey@fenix1.dol-esa.gov>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/22/1995 10:12:56
On Mon, 22 May 95 12:32:52 -0400
 "Kenneth E. Stailey" <kstailey@fenix1.dol-esa.gov> wrote:

 > > > It took my diskless Sun-3/260 about a week to do a full rebuild
 > > > (everything except the kernel).

Adding a disk is a big improvement.  Even the ancient Micropolis ESDI
disk behind an Emulex SCSI adaptron on my 3/60 proved to be enough to
help my 3/60 build the entire tree in 2.5 days.  Local swap helps quite
alot.  Source is still via NFS...

'Course, if you don't have SCSI on your 3/260 (I don't think it was
standard, was it?) you're up a creek...How's the `xy' driver coming along
(directed at whomever posted about it so long ago...)?

 > > 	OUCH!  Hey, these things happen.  I'm prepared.  If I get more
 > > serious about it maybe I'll push the Linux guys for a Sun3 port

(I realize that Ken didn't write this statement...This is directed at the
original poster...I deleted that message my accident... :-)

Perhaps I'm not really understanding what Linux on the sun3 would gain
you...Do you believe that it would somehow be faster?  Considering
Linux's NFS performance, I would think that it would certainly be
_slower_, especially if you plan on running the machine completely
diskless.

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939