Subject: Re: previous declaration of `catclose'
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/22/1995 07:23:54
>>> I'm 'SUP' to the minute...... Where do I go from here?

>> Try "make -n build", which will indicate the correct order to
>> rebuild things in.  In particular, you should do include files
>> first, libraries second, and then the rest of the world; [...]
> Then what is a "make" trying to do?

By default, the equivalent to "make all", which just does a recursive
recompile.  No installation of anything.

> Also, according to the instructions , isn't my /usr mounted Read
> Only?

Possibly; check by running mount.  If so, you'll have to remount it
read/write before installation can possibly work.

> And, while I'm re-building everything if I decide to do something
> else, won't my includes be incorrect with the version installed?

Possibly.  I suspect that most user-land code doesn't care about the
include files that change the most, fortunately.

> I guess I really never ran into this since Linux on my PC took an
> hour or so and I've put 30 into this and only have about 490 .o's in
> libc. (NOT blaming the OS, just the 3/50 and possibly Linux NFS).

It took my diskless Sun-3/260 about a week to do a full rebuild
(everything except the kernel).

>> 			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
> 						 ^^^^^^MUSIC to my ears.

Oh dear, you've been afflicted with MUSIC?  My sympathies.  (For those
who find this hopelessly cryptic, MUSIC is an OS put out by the McGill
Computing Centre.  It is an acronym for, I think, <M>cGill <U>niversity
<S>ystem for <I>nteractive <C>omputing; their idea of interactive seems
to be a line editor on a 300-baud teletype.  In its day it may have
been a good system, but as far as I can tell it hasn't evolved with the
rest of the world over the intervening years, so by now it's pretty
painfully out-of-date.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu