Subject: Re: Bad to worse
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Scott J. Ellentuch <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/15/1995 12:16:14
In Gordon W. Ross's own words (And I ">_") :

> > From: "Scott J. Ellentuch" <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
> > Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 21:53:56 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 	Well, I swapped my 3/50 4M 68881 board with the board in a machine
> > I use as as a nameserver at my site (3/50 12M 68881 that I pulled and replaced
> > with a 68882).  Results:  It rarps, but times out on the TFTP of the
> > boot.sun3 file.
> >
> > 	Any suggestions?
> >
> > 				Thanks, Scott
>
> Are you sure it gets its IP address OK?  (RARP succeeds?)
> Usually, this means one forgot to add/change the entry to /etc/ethers
> for the new machine, which has a different ethernet address.

	Positive.  ABSOULTELY no doubt that RARP is working.

> If this machine has a different PROM revision, it may look for a
> different name in /tftpboot (i.e. may need the ".SUN3" part).
> (Just a guess.  Check with tcpdump to see what it wants.)

	I hacked tfptd to pieces again, and its still looking for the same
file name (Since it is the same IP address) but it seems that some timer
is expiring.  Haven't nailed that down.  It *MUST* be a different
PROM since my test menu looks totally different. I think its 2.7
where the other board was a 2.8 ..  If anyone knows WHICH
chip is the PROM, and there won't be any damage/screwups if I
swap it... I'll do that...

				Thanks, Scott