Subject: Bad to worse
To: None <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/15/1995 09:48:34
> From: "Scott J. Ellentuch" <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 21:53:56 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi all,
>
> 	Well, I swapped my 3/50 4M 68881 board with the board in a machine
> I use as as a nameserver at my site (3/50 12M 68881 that I pulled and replaced
> with a 68882).  Results:  It rarps, but times out on the TFTP of the
> boot.sun3 file.
>
> 	Any suggestions?
>
> 				Thanks, Scott

Are you sure it gets its IP address OK?  (RARP succeeds?)
Usually, this means one forgot to add/change the entry to /etc/ethers
for the new machine, which has a different ethernet address.

If this machine has a different PROM revision, it may look for a
different name in /tftpboot (i.e. may need the ".SUN3" part).
(Just a guess.  Check with tcpdump to see what it wants.)

Gordon