Subject: *NEWBIE* on the floor
To: None <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/05/1995 12:34:21
> From: Scott J Ellentuch <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 May 95 22:19:08 EDT

> 	That fixed it to the point I got it to boot and such, but
> didn't get a console.  I could telnet, but root wasn't allowed on. I
> added a user to /etc/passwd but that didn't work.  I finally got
> past it, but ....

You probably have an incorrect /etc/ttys (or /dev/console).
Try booting into single-user mode.  At the PROM monitor:
  b le()netbsd -s
If you need to resort to DDB breakpoints, use:
  b le()netbsd -ds
and you will stop in DDB very early (so you can set breaks).

> During boot, timed says :
>
> May  3 00:00:43 ichabod /netbsd: fpu_emul_type0: unknown: opcode=0xf200, word1=0x4100

Oh, you have not FPU (poor devil).  Your life will be much easier if
you scrape together the $10 or so to buy an mc68881 and plug it in.
The FPU emulator is not capable of anything except save/restore of the
FP registers.  (It's just a work in progress.  Wish I had more time...)

> And like I said, how do I add users?

In single-user mode you can mount /usr and then use vipw.

> Whats my next step? "who" and "df" dump .... Everything that does dump is
> related to fpu_emul.  My next thing is to get SUP working on my Linux.
>
> Oh, yea, you need to turn on the console tty when it boots... Its turned off.
> And turn off ttye's.

That sounds like the Amiga version of /etc/ttys -
Did I forget toupdate it?

Gordon