Subject: Re: *NEWBIE* on the floor
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/05/1995 07:55:09
>>> 	Sun 3/50
>>> 	Wyse-50 monitor on ttyA
[something about "Diagnostic mode" here in the original message]
>> Note that setting the "Diag/Norm" switch to Diag mode forces the
>> console interaction to ttya regardless of the EEPROM setting.
> I don't have a 3/50 here, but on my 3/60 setting to Diag causes
> extended POST diagnostic messages to appear on ttya (and I think on
> ttyb also, but not on the display), followed by an invitation on all
> three to invoke the extended test menu.  If you do so, the port you
> did it from becomes the console until the next hard reset; if you let
> it time out it reverts to the eeprom-defined device.

This matches my experience too, though I never let it time out and
never tried ttyb.

> SunOS somehow finds out which port the ROM is actually using instead
> of only looking at the eeprom setting, and ideally the
> console-steering code in NetBSD-sun3 should do likewise.

I think SunOS doesn't actually figure out what the ROM is using, but
rather just uses the ROM callbacks for console output.

> Granted this is not very high on the list of things to be done.

Doubtless true. :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu