Subject: *NEWBIE* on the floor
To: None <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/04/1995 11:34:02
> From: Scott J Ellentuch <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
> Date: Wed, 3 May 95 23:58:41 EDT

> Hi,
>
> 	I kept threatening Gordon I was going to start and put a system
> up, and I finally did :
>
> 	Sun 3/50
> 	4M Memory
> 	10M Ethernet (BNC)
> 	Wyse-50 monitor on ttyA
> 	Diagnostic mode

Note that setting the "Diag/Norm" switch to Diag mode forces the
console interaction to ttya regardless of the EEPROM setting.

> 	Booting from Linux (CALM DOWN!) NFS
> 	I got the stuff in NetBSD/arch/sun3.
> 	HOWEVER, in the doco :
[ lots of errors ]
Thanks for the updates.

> cp etc/fstab.nfs etc/fstab - No such file, HELP!!!!!!

server:/export/client/root / nfs rw
server:/export/netbsd.sun3/usr /usr nfs ro

> I get to the point where it says :
>
> console on kd0 (keyboard/display)
>
> and it hangs.  HELP!!!!!

Well, it is probably not really hung, but is trying to use the
keyboard/display as the console (as it said).  You need to fix the
EEPROM setting for the console.  Do this at the PROM monitor prompt:

> q1F
1F: [00] 10
20: [00] .

That will set the console to ttya after the next reset.
(See src/sys/arch/sun3/include/eeprom.h for details.)

Gordon