Subject: Re: *NEWBIE* on the floor
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/04/1995 08:05:28
> I kept threatening Gordon I was going to start and put a system up,
> and I finally did :

> 	Sun 3/50
> 	4M Memory
> 	10M Ethernet (BNC)
> 	Wyse-50 monitor on ttyA
> 	Diagnostic mode
> 	Booting from Linux (CALM DOWN!) NFS

> I get to the point where it says :

> console on kd0 (keyboard/display)

> and it hangs.  HELP!!!!!  (I grepped the kernel, shouldn't it be
> telling me I'm on a tty?)

Yes.  Did you fix the EEPROM to tell it you're using ttya as console?
You say "Diagnostic mode", which implies that the ROMs will be using
ttya regardless of what's in the EEPROM.  But (I haven't checked) I
suspect the kernel is looking at the EEPROM and seeing byte 1F set to
00 and hence using the keyboard and display.  Fixing this will also let
you go back to normal-mode boots (provided the boot device setting is
correct, which you should probably check), which is probably a Good
Thing anyway.

Those EEPROM locations:

	19	first char of boot device
	1A	second char of boot device
	1B	first number in parentheses
	1C	second number in parentheses
	1D	third number in parentheses
(For example, if 19 through 1D hold 77 6B 03 04 05, it will try to boot
as if you explicitly told it wk(3,4,5).  Not that wk is a known boot
device, but you get the idea - 'w' = 0x77, 'k' = 0x6b.)

	1F	console type
(I remember only 00 for video/keyboard and 10 for ttya; there are a few
others - see <mon/eeprom.h> on SunOS 3.5, or probably something similar
on other Sun-3 OSes, for the values.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu