Subject: FPU emulation...
From: Douglas Wade Needham <dneedham@dneedham.inhouse.compuserve.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/24/1995 12:39:54
> > From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@sj.xenotropic.com>
> > Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 22:10:23 -0800
>
> > Well, I went out and got myself a 3/50 (so I'd stop dinking with them at
> > work...)  'course, I don't have an FPU (yet) -- so, while I'm digging
> > 'round trying to find one, I'm wondering what I can do...the last I
> > looked, the FPU emulation wasn't all quite there...
>
> The FPU emulation only handles fmovm (used to save/restore FP regs)
> but that is enough to let you boot up a machine with no FPU.
> To use this, you have to patch the variable fpu_type to zero.
>
> That fpu_type variable should be set dynamically.  I have a start
> on the code to do this - let me know if you want to finish it up.
>
> Gordon

Of course, this raises a curious question on my part...if Sun 3's
normally do not come with the '881, how did I luck out and get a '881
in all of my machines??  Not that I am complaining! 8)

However, it really is odd that out of the couple of hundred Sun 3's I
have worked with, every single one had the '881, but only a very
select few had the FP Accelerator.

- doug (looking desperately and unpatiently forward to my
        60A->200A electrical service upgrade being finished!)
--
Douglas Wade Needham                            BSD kernel programmer (4.4>5)
Email:	dneedham@dneedham.inhouse.compuserve.com