Subject: How to boot the damn thing?
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/08/1995 00:09:05
I am trying to get netbsd to boot on my 3/260.

I have prepared root and usr filesystems on sd2 (SunOS nomenclature,
it's SCSI ID 1) by copying my Amiga binaries over, running MAKEDEV
from dev.tar.gz, and installing zupdate on top of all that.  I also
did the installboot.

So I have a Quantum 105 on ID 1.  If I try

b sd(0,1,0)

or

b sd(0,8,0)

or

b sd(0,16,0)

the machine sits there for a few seconds, then returns to the boot
monitor.  I get the same effect if I try to boot from a disk whose
ID is not equal to any ID in the system.

Can I boot from my Quantum?  What numbers do I use?  I have SunOS
installed on sd0 so I don't relish fiddling with the prom.

Oh, well, screw that.  Let's try netbooting.

b ie()

About half the time,

I've tried booting a kernel I've compiled myself, and the netbsd-gen.gz,
fetched from ftp.netbsd.org on March 7, fresh.  On my kernel, I get a

Watchdog reset!

just after it prints "Total mem: %d".  At this point, the keyboard is
dead - I can't even L1-A back to the boot rom.

If I try the generic kernel, I get:

panic: pa_to_pvp: bad pa: %p

I thought this problem was corrected!

Try again: it works, sort of:

ie0: TDR detected an open 0 clocks away.
ie0: TDR detected a short 0 clocks away.

(My Ethernet works fine under SunOS)

It then tried to mount NFS root and swap.  Is there a way I can have it
mount root, etc. from the local SCSI disk?

OK, try again, netbooting.  Same result, but this time NO SCSI devices
were found!!!

OK, try again.  Now the SCSI devices are found, but the Quantum appears
on ALL luns!  (It appeared only at LUN 0 the first time, and all the
time under SunOS)

It's a new toy every boot!

Help!

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key