Subject: Problems cross-compiling kernel
To: None <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/29/1995 15:10:12
> From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
> Date: 	Sat, 28 Jan 1995 23:58:12 -0500

> I got a few problems building a sun3 kernel on my Amiga...
>
> - I made and populated xinc as directed.
> - I had to symlink as to gas and awk to nawk.
> - libkern.a was not found.  The Amiga port builds it automatically, and links
>   it in from the right place.  As a quick fix, I coped it over from
>   the Amiga port.  Why doesn't the sun3 port make it automatically too?

Because it is difficult to build an a cross-compile environment.
There is a ready-to-go copy of it in the distribution that you can
just copy into place (pretty much as you did).

> In general, why the whole as/gas/awk/nawk/xinc business?

With cross compilation you need to avoid name clashes with the native
programs.  In your case, your build environment is essentially native,
so you can just change the Makefile.sun3 definitions of AS, AWK, ...

Gordon