Subject: NFS writes are ignored by SunOS server (solved)
To: None <jaw@magoo.roc.ny.us, chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/22/1995 17:00:57
> From: "Gordon W. Ross" <gwr>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jan 95 14:10:15 EST

> I too have observed this problem with NFS writes.
> The write requests on the wire look "fishy" to me,
> and I'm currently trying to figure out what broke.
> I think this is a port-independent NFS problem.
> The BSD 4.4 NFS code is messy. (trying to be nice :-)

OK, after wasting some time on the above "red herring",
I've determined that the SunOS server was simply not
able to receive the "back-to-back" packets that the
new le driver sends with the default NFS write size.
(This is a consequence of the faster le driver...)

The easiest way to deal with this is to add the following
lines to your config file:

	# XXX - Work-around for slow SunOS/Sun3 servers
	options       NFS_BOOT_RWSIZE=1024

Then do later mounts to the same server like this:

	mount -t nfs -o '-w 1024' pooh:/home /home

Can anyone tell me how to put such an option in the fstab?
(It looks like we need to add "wsize=1024" parsing...)

Gordon