Subject: Re: netboot?
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: jim howard - bit.map <bit@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/11/1994 14:20:55

> > From: jhawk@MIT.EDU
> >
> > I mentioned I had problems NFS mounting the swap, and Gordon suggested
> > using mountd -n. This was only part of the problem -- I really need to
> > go and document the work I did to make things work, but it seemed that
> > mountd refused to allow the diskless client to mount the swap partition;
> > this seemed to be because it expected a directory in /etc/exports, but
> > would receive a request for a file, as if it were a directory, from
> > the client. Is anyone else netbooting netbsd/sun3 off of another NetBSD
> > box, or are you using a Sun?
>
> I am using a SunOS server, but I looked at the NetBSD mountd and
> it appears that it should allow mount requests with path names
> that represent either a directory or a regular file.
>
> Gordon

from what i recall, the proper way to nfs mount a swap space
is to create a directory on your server '/export/swap/'
and within that create a file with the name of the machine
that will be swaping from you, similar to '/export/root/yourname'
for the root partition of the remote machine.

so yes, you should be receiving requests for /export/whatever.
were you trying to tell it to mount /dev/sdXX directly?

-jim h