Subject: netboot?
To: None <root@thunder.catt.ncsu.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/03/1994 10:44:13
> From: "Kevin P. Neal" <root@thunder.catt.ncsu.edu>
> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 01:45:23 -0500 (EST)

> > > Also, before I waste my time, is the 3/260 even supported?
> > Not yet.  We need a volunteer with a /260 to help out...
>
> Help out how? It looks like I will put SunOS on it. I don't have time to
> program on the thing. How close are we to having it work on my machine?
> What has to be done? Testing?

Once the Sun3 pmap problems are taken care of, the bulk of the
remaining work is just to pull in the "bus" support code from
the sparc port (obio/vme/...) and some drivers (the ie ethernet).

It will probably take a while, since nobody appears to be putting
large amounts of time into the project (including me).

> > Is it a SCSI tape drive?  The tapemaster one will need a driver...
>
> It is an ESDI tape drive hooked up to the board that has the lights. The board
> is an ESDI to SCSI converter. Nasty nasty nasty. Anyway, it seems that the
> tape and/or board is dead. Instead I grabbed the Archive Viper 150 out of my
> Amiga and put that one in. It isn't totally happy with that drive, but it seems
> to work just fine. I don't have a boot tape yet, but it seems to test alright.
>
> The boot prom complains about a Mode Sense Error: 5, Error 0.

You probably need a PROM upgrade:  I think you need PROM version 3.0.1
before you can boot with the Archive 150 (or just quiet the complaints.)

Gordon Ross