Subject: Re: netboot?
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <root@thunder.catt.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/03/1994 01:45:23

> > From: "Kevin P. Neal" <root@thunder.catt.ncsu.edu>
> > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 01:51:36 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > Does anyone have boot.sun3 (aka: netboot) built for NetBSD?
>
> It's not done yet.  Just use the one from SunOS.

Somebody emailed me a copy of the sun one. Thanks!

> > Also, before I waste my time, is the 3/260 even supported?
>
> Not yet.  We need a volunteer with a /260 to help out...

Help out how? It looks like I will put SunOS on it. I don't have time to
program on the thing. How close are we to having it work on my machine?
What has to be done? Testing?

> > One more... there are 2 lights on the board connected to the tape drive.
> > The green light is flashing, and the red is solid .. what does this
> > indicated, as I don't think my tape drive is very happy.
>
> Is it a SCSI tape drive?  The tapemaster one will need a driver...

It is an ESDI tape drive hooked up to the board that has the lights. The board
is an ESDI to SCSI converter. Nasty nasty nasty. Anyway, it seems that the
tape and/or board is dead. Instead I grabbed the Archive Viper 150 out of my
Amiga and put that one in. It isn't totally happy with that drive, but it seems
to work just fine. I don't have a boot tape yet, but it seems to test alright.

The boot prom complains about a Mode Sense Error: 5, Error 0.
What does this mean? NetBSD/Amiga was really unhappy with this drive. It was
nasty getting it to sorta kinda work. The 260 is not totally fine with it.

I seem to remember that Commodore's SVR4 AmigaUNIX would not work with that drive
unless you applied patches. AMIX was fine with a Caliper drive, but needed those
patches to use the Archive. What did they do to that drive?

--
// Kevin P. Neal                   | case@catt.ncsu.edu
// Sophomore, CSC/CPE              | kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu