Subject: Re: console stuff
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/22/1994 10:25:49
> > From: Adam Glass <adamg@microsoft.com>
> > Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 09:28:37 TZ
> >
> > actually this is not enough.  You need to get reads on the /dev/console
> > which opens /dev/prom (essentially) to work.  I rewrote large portions
> > of the driver but didn't get anywhere on input.  I'll play with your
> > nmi change.  I thought i had simulated that but maybe not.
>
> Right.  Sorry if I got your hopes up too much.  I can not yet get
> the system sufficiently alive to open /dev/console.
>
> I have an idea for the temporary prom console input:
>
> Use a ring buffer that gets filled by a polling function called
> by hard_clock() i.e.:

Yeah...i tried a scheme like this using timeout(), and the prom
maygetchar() function.  it just didn't work, though i should probably
take another look at it.

I actually have a system alive enough to boot, exec /sbin/init which
opens /dev/console which (effectively) opens /dev/prom, requesting
single-user mode, execs /bin/sh, prints a shell prompt, and blocks on
read() afterwards.  I'll commit all of the changes necessary to get
that far as soon as I fix either the prom console driver or the zs
driver I ported such that /dev/console input/output actually works.

Getting a shell prompt and being able to do a 'ls' is the only measure
of success.  We are *SO* close.....

later,
Adam