Subject: NFS, mountroot
To: None <port-sun3@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/15/1994 16:54:51
I did a little hacking on nfs_mountroot() and noticed that it
calls functions that sleep!  This is while there is nothing but
process zero.  Is it OK to sleep at this stage?

I would think it is NOT allowable because there is no idle process
to run.  I'm not sure what happens when nfs_request/sorecieve sleeps
waiting for an RPC reply, but I think it ends up immediately
continuing process zero (not waiting for the RPC reply).

Has the nfs_mountroot code been tested on any other platforms?

It looks like it may be possible to remove the sleeps from the
mountroot code (if necessary), otherwise it might be handy to
make sleep work during this phase.  We could make sleep do a
busy-wait loop until the wakeup happens when "cold" is set.

Does it need fixing?
What are the opinions on how to fix it?

Gordon W. Ross  		Mercury Computer Systems
gwr@mc.com      		199 Riverneck Road
508-256-1300			Chelmsford, MA 01824-2820