Subject: Re: Which Sun3 architectures?
To: Holger Veit <Holger.Veit@gmd.de>
From: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/03/1994 11:12:19
> I didn't follow the port-sun3 list for a long time, so maybe this
> is a FAQ:
>
> Which Sun3 architectures are covered by the current port (No, I know it
> is not very functional yet, but...)?
> I heard of people having acquired some old 3/60, so this is one game that
> could be played.

the port has been developed on the sun3 desktop models i.e the 3/50
and 3/60.  It should also work on any of the machines that use the same
motherboard as the 3/60 (Theo, fill in the details?).

To get the port working on any of the other machines you need to solve
the following problems:
	until we have a scsi driver, you need nfs diskless mount your
		root.  This means that we need a driver for the intel
		ethernet found in the non-desktop machines.
	no vme support.  It would be easy to do, and the autoconfig
		scheme can be made to understand it w/o much work.
	any wierd post-3/60 architectural enhancements like virtually
		addressed caches.  I think i've got code in there to
		deal with this, but it has never been tested.

> I have recently got a *large* 3/260 with 8MB, Xylogics+SCSI controller,
> 60MB streamer, and some disks (600mb total). This is a VMEbus machine.
> So is this one already covered, something in work for it, assistance
> welcome, no interest at all, or what else?

No one has really been able to work on this because of tree
accessibility issues.  An announcement about that follows this mail.

later,
Adam Glass