Re: Memory/data errors

On Mar 18,  9:24pm, Sad Clouds wrote:
} On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 13:40:26 -0700 John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> wrote:
} > On Mar 18,  2:26pm, Sad Clouds wrote:
} > }
} > } Hello, I've been seeing various errors and kernel hangs with NetBSD-8
} > } on Sun Ultra 10. This is a rather old machine, so I'm assuming hardware
} > } is starting to fail, etc. I did run max diagnostics at openboot and it
} > } didn't find any issues.
} > }
} > } Normally, I would run NetBSD build.sh and sooner or later GCC would
} > } segfault, or kernel would hang. I was also seeing the following errors
} >
} >      GCC is an excellent memory tester.  It apparently exercises
} > RAM very intensely, so this is often an indicator that you have
} > bad RAM.
}
} Not just bad RAM, this machine was built 20 years ago, every component
} on the mainboard is a suspect.
}
} OpenBoot has memory tests where it writes/reads various data patterns,
} not sure how extensive those tests are, but I ran them about 5 times
} and they didn't find any issues.

     It's not likely to be very extensive.  For real memory testing,
you probably want something like memtest86 but rewritten for Sparc.

}-- End of excerpt from Sad Clouds