Re: Someone using COMPAT_SVR4(_32) ?

Le 01/08/2017 à 17:21, Eduardo Horvath a écrit :
This is a really silly argument.  Solaris is still under active
development.

Yes, but COMPAT_SVR4 is *not* under active development. No one maintains it,
and it is proven buggy, contrary to compat_sunos - I guess because no one has
given a close look at it yet. If it is seen that compat_sunos is unused and
unmaintained, then let's remove it too. But that's a different issue.

What exactly is your argument? That "someone" "may" use "some" solaris programs?
But is there at least one binary that is solaris-specific, that is not available
on linux and not open source? And if such binary exists, is it proven that it
works with the current compat_svr4 implementation?

At some point, old, unmaintained code needs to be removed. What I'm trying to
figure out is whether there's any real use case that justifies keeping this
feature, even if disabled. So far, you haven't demonstrated anything. And if
you're so passionate about this, why didn't you maintain compat_svr4 in the
first place? Probably because you're not using it either.

Maxime