Re: esp vs. MSG_IGN_WIDE_RESIDUE

macallan%netbsd.org@localhost (Michael) writes:

>I keep getting messages like this with my new old toy, and Ultra 2:
>sd(0,0,0): unrecognized MESSAGE; sending REJECT

>The disk is hooked to an esp/hme SBus card, so wide SCSI. I've been
>using those on sparc with all sorts of disks and never saw this.

The message says that not all bytes of the last wide transfer cycle
are valid. The message is necessary for a read command, because that
is the only way to indicate the correct transfer length.

Disks rarely have odd-sized disk blocks, but an odd-sized transfer
might occur for other data, but there the length is usually transmitted
or implied, the correct transfer length rarely matters.

Tapes on the other hand may support odd-sized blocks. Ignoring the
message there is a problem.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost