troubleshoot system freeze

I have an old Ultra 5 running NetBSD 6.1.5/sparc64 and it will randomly
freeze after long periods of time, 30 days or longer for example.  most
recently, the system was just idling as far as i know.  i brought up the
serial console that i connect to via minicom on Linux, and it
unfortunately did not display anything after the freeze... i was hoping
to at least have access to an ok> prompt or similar when the freeze
happened, therefore i was forced to physically hard reset the device in
order to get it going again.  i don't see any gz files in /var/crash to
analyze, just 'bounds' and 'minfree'.  the system is in a data center
with reliable power so i don't think it is a problem caused by a spike
electricity for example, but maybe the power did cause this??  in the
most recent episode, the last thing in the system log (messages) is a
standard message about syslogd restarting, but the freeze happened more
than 8 hours later when i noticed my ssh session dropped.

on another note does anyone know why syslogd restarts at weird intervals?

Oct  1 02:00:00   syslogd[154]: restart
Oct  1 11:00:01   syslogd[154]: restart
Oct  1 15:00:00   syslogd[154]: restart
Oct  1 20:00:00   syslogd[154]: restart