Re: Strange NVRAM corruption on Sun Blade 2500

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 04:20:47PM +0530, Sujit K M wrote:

> http://unix.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/solaris-l/fast-data-access-mmu-miss-4136629

This is clearly a differnt issue (and could either mean broken hardware or
something smashed the boot code on disk).

No, as I said:

> > debug:
> >
> > The "debug:" prompt is just a restricted version of the "ok" prompt, but
> > booting is disabled.

But:

> > First time through I actually thought this chip would be dead and got an
> > (empty) replacement, which imediately fixed the issue.
>
> Seems to be the only solution as per me.

No, there is no hardware broken nor the installation on-disk damaged in
any way, as I got the machine to boot by just "fidling" with the nvram
contennts. Unfortunately I can't tell exactly what "fixed" it in the end.

Anyway, I am not looking for advice to recover this machine (it already is, I
am typing this message there), but hints how to prevent this from happening
again or reasons that might have caused it (i.e.: bugs in our code).

Thanks,

Martin