Re: cgd(4) not activated in GENERIC

Hi,

> > I know there are arguments against it, but I just wanted to install my new
> > sparc64 machine and had to recompile the kernel and reburn the CD as cgd
> > was not enabled in current GENERIC.
>
> I would love to see proper sysinst support to even allow cgd setup on
> initial installs, but as long as that is not there, at least manual
> setup should be as easy as possible - so I just enabled it.
>
> Are you aware of any missing tools on the install CD for easy cgd
> initialization?
I've just set up a machine (6.0_BETA) with sysinst for sparc64, and there was
a confusing part: There's the option of a GENERIC and a GENERIC.UP kernel.
There's nearly no documentation what you need it for, not even in the
installation notes (for 6.0_BETA).

By the way, vi would also be nice to have on the ramdisk. I know it's
large, and you can use ed for that, but for people who are not into ed (and
this is nowadays the majority), it's difficult to set up raid.
Then, the installation medium is usable as a recovery medium as well.

Apart from that, installing NetBSD with a cgd (set up afterwards) on a raid
device worked fine.

Regards, Julian