Re: SUNW,m46B resolutions?

>> I have a U5 whose framebuffer is a SUNW,m64B [...] machfb0 [...]

> The machfb driver is a full fledged kernel driver and should be able
> to change the device's resolution to anything you want once the OS is
> loaded.

How?  I'm not familiar with any interface that allows changing a
framebuffer's resolution after booting.  I even had a quick look at the
driver and didn't see anything.  What should I go read up on?

> Of course your monitor needs to support this resolution.

In my case I care for pretty much the converse reason: I want the
machine to support the preferred resolution of the monitor.  (It's a
flatscreen....)

> If you really want to set the resolution of the device from the
> firmware there are still several things you can do.

I would like to, primarily so that the console isn't warped into
borderline unusability by the monitor's ever-so-helpful scaling.

> You can `see' show-modes and mode# to see what they are and if they
> take a parameter to dump the entire table.

I've looked there.  There's a constant which appears to be a bitmask of
supported modes.  That value is 4 - corresponding to mode 2, the one it
printed. :-(  I don't know whether this is because I haven't connected
it to a monitor since last power-on so it didn't get any EDID data or
because it's just an unusually impoverished variant I have or what.

> You can boot a solaris CD and run `fbcontrol' to dump out the modes
> it knows about and then feed that into `set-mode'.

Hm, maybe worth trying.  I'll look through my stack of CDs to see if I
have any such thing.

\ / Ribbon Campaign