Re: NetBSD/sparc64 and GbE performance

On Sep 27, 12:11pm, Matthias Scheler wrote:
} On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 08:45:34AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > } what performance do people get with GbE cards in NetBSD/sparc64 systems?
} > } I get about 200Mb/s with the wm(4) card in my ULTRA60. If I remember
} > } correctly Solaris 10 achieved twice the throughput with a cas(4) card.
} > } But I seriously doubt that the cas(4) hardware is faster or even as
} > } fast as a wm(4) card.
} >
} >      Why?  Have you ever read the specs of cas(4)?
}
} No, but I used machines with those cards in the past and I remember
} various problems.
}
} > It's a rather impressive chip.
}
} Is it?
}
} Cassini:
} http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ULkpSVPTL.jpg
}
} Intel PRO 1000 MT:
} http://www.buyserverparts.com/item_images/thumb/pro-1000.jpg

     Look at those pictures a bit closer.  The Cassini is a 64-bit card
and the Intel is only a 32-bit card.

} I'm sorry but not impressed by the bulk of that thing. And it doesn't
} even support things like IP header checksum offload.

     I don't have the specsheet in front of me, but considering the
advanced capabilities of that card, I would bet that it does support IP
header checksum offload.  That's trivial compared to most of its
capabilities.  Don't use the simplistic NetBSD driver (derived from
OpenBSD) to judge it.

}-- End of excerpt from Matthias Scheler