Re: Testing memory in an ULTRA60

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 05:31:32PM +0200, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> > I've just added four more memory modules to my ULTRA60 to upgrade it
> > from 1.5GB to 2GB. However OpenFirmware and NetBSD both report only
> > 1.7GB of memory. Can I run some kind of memory test from the firmware
> > to find out which memory modules are not working?
>
> You need to set diag-switch? to true and diag-level to max in OBP,
> then power off, wait 1-2 minutes, and power on again.

Thanks, that works.

> Then watch the serial port.  Normally, HPOST will list the memory
> modules it sees, and report on any errors.  The DIMM sockets are
> marked Uxxxx on the motherboard, and HPOST will use these names.

Various tests produced output like this:

0>INFO: 256MB Bank 0
0>INFO: 512MB Bank 1
0>INFO: 512MB Bank 2
0>INFO: 512MB Bank 3

Is it possible to get more detailed information? I would like to know
whether only two of the four new modules are working or whether they
are 64MB modules (which is entirely possible).

        Kind regards