Re: Netra X1 IDE controller/disk issues

On May 12, 2010, at 08:25, Takeshi Nakayama wrote:
IDE controller in Netra X1 has problem to handle DMA in LBA48-mode [1][2].

So I guess if you limit a partition size to less than 128GB, newfs
will done without errors.

More specifically, if the partition(s) being used are within the first 128GB of the disk, newfs completes without having to downgrade the disk to PIO mode 4. Any size partition that passes into the upper part of the disk causes the afore-mentioned issue.

  So, the next question falls to, is there anything that anyone can
think to try?  Or is it just a lost cause, and I should assume that
only one of my disks will run in Ultra-DMA mode?

The comment in GENERIC configuration file is obsolete.  Its means
you may see a data corruption in UDMA mode 4, but UDMA mode 2 is
safe.  Then, its workaround was commited in 2005.

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2008/02/14/ msg000101.html
[2] http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=daniIDE

Hmm. Okay. I guess that just means there's no way to use a disk [larger than 120ish GB] on this channel (or controller?) without running it PIO. :-( Oh well.

  Thanks for all help.

                    - Chris