Re: Keyboard mapping problems

Hi,

> I have a sparc ultra 5 running netbsd sparc64 5.0.2. It has a Type 6 keyboard
> with normal keyboard layout except for a Euro mark on the 4 key together with
> the "4" and the "$".  It works fine under console, but under X the keyboard
> mappings are completely messed up. Does anyone know how to fix this?   Also
> the mouse doesn't work (no movement)

By "completely messed up", do you mean that most of the keys (apart from the
numbers) are not correct?  If so, you might have "XkbModel" set to "Sun" in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.   The keyboard section should have:

        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "Protocol" "wskbd"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/wskbd"

It is possible to set:

        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "US"            # pick your country here

to set up the correct layout.  However, I couldn't get this to work for a UK
keyboard.  I ended uo modifying xdm's Xsetup_0 to run xmodmap with:

  keycode  11 = 2 quotedbl
  keycode  12 = 3 sterling
  keycode  48 = apostrophe at
  keycode  49 = grave notsign
  keycode  51 = numbersign asciitilde
  keycode  94 = backslash bar
  keycode 126 = KP_Equal
  keycode 144 = Help
  keycode 145 = Cancel
  keycode 146 = Redo
  keycode 147 = SunProps
  keycode 148 = Undo
  keycode 149 = SunFront
  keycode 150 = SunCopy
  keycode 151 = SunOpen
  keycode 152 = SunPaste
  keycode 153 = Find
  keycode 154 = SunCut

You would need to edit this for your layout.  I'd guess that:

  keycode 113 = Mode_switch
  keycode  13 = 4 dollar EuroSign

would work to add the Euro sign, by setting the "Alt Graph" key to be
"Mode switch" and adding the Euro as <mode_switch>-4.  See also:

  http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/X11/xmodmap.html

for more details.

For the mouse, xorg.conf should have:

        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "wsmouse"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/wsmouse"

(To get a prototype xorg.conf to edit, I ran `X -configure`.)

Thanks,

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/