Re: U5 RAM?

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 05:14:49PM +0200, der Mouse wrote:
> I've got a U5 that I'd like to get going.  But when I turn it on, it
> loops reporting "RED State Exception".  On inspection, it turns out to
> have no RAM in it.
>
> Superficially, it looks as though it takes 168-pin PC RAM.  But the
> pattern of notch positions seems to be unusual; I've gone through my
> whole collection of PC RAM, and, while I've found plenty of sticks that
> match either notch position, I've found none that match both.  Am I
> just unlucky, or is U5-compatible RAM rare?
Hm, here's what the Sun Hardware Handbook knows about memory for the U5:

Four DIMM slots

Install DIMMs in pairs (16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, and 128 MB DIMMs); quad provides
best performance

512 MB maximum

50ns 168-pin JEDEC DIMMs, ECC error-correction

(Copied from
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/U5/spec#MainMemory)

Hope this helps
Kurt