Re: Naturetech 888P (mostly) working

Hi,

> I just threw 5.0 at a Naturetech 888P last night, and can report that it
> successfully boots multi-user.

Nice.

> Xorg on this box is just plain weird. The 888P has a 1400x1050 LCD
> display, but Xorg will only drive it at 1024x768. And Xorg.0.log shows
> that Xorg claims the builtin display is a CRT on the (external) VGA
> connector.

This is almost certainly because we get the display size/depth from the PROM
and pass that on to X.

> As an aside, even the OpenPROM settings for the display are strange;
> 'screen' comes up as 1024x768 while the boot font is too large to fit
> 80 columns in such. OpenPROM has 1280x1024 predefined, but no 1400x1050.
> I hope to get around to adding r1400x1050x60, but I'm currently ignorant
> of how to work out sync pulse width and porch width.

Presumably it is using a standard PROM, so doesn't have any 1400x1050
resolutions.  What does the display attach as?

You might find these of use when calculating video timings:

http://riksun.riken.go.jp/pub/pub/Linux/slackware/slackware-3.5/docs/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO
  http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html

You could search for XFree or Xorg 1400x1050 timings - you might find one
that fits your TFT.  If we can get the EDID data from the TFT, that would be
even better.

Thanks,

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/