Re: I2C bus probe-able?

On Thu, 7 May 2009, Erik Fair wrote:

> And I wonder: is the iic (I2C) bus probe-able,

Well, technically it is probe-able.  You can determine if a device exists
at a specific address.  And since the original idea was to have Philips
hand out specific addresses to specific devices, you could even identify
devices based on their address.

However, since then many vendors, including Philips, have added the
ability to set I2C addresses of devices based on hardware strappings, and
there are also I2C address translator devices which allow you to have
multiple instances of the same device on different segments of the same
I2C bus, the identification process becomes complicated.  Identifying a
specific device would require issuing a specific sequence of I2C bus
phases that the device would respond to in a specific way allowing the
driver to determine if the device at that address is one it supports.  But
since there is no standard for device access, unlike SMB where Intel
specified only a subset of possible I2C transactions, the operations
needed to identify one device can result in damage to some other type of
device that might be sitting at that address.

So although it is technically probe-able, practically it's not probable
since the probing process can cause damage to the system.

Eduardo