PCI graphics cards on Sun hardware

Are there any new developments in regard to running 3rd party PCI
graphics cards on Sun hardware?

Last time I asked, I was told it didn't really work:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2008/04/07/msg000306.html

I have an old ATI rage128 PCI card that I would like to use for running
X11 on Sun Ultra 10. What needs to be done to achieve this? Maybe it's
possible to write a small fcode "driver" that gets loaded by OpenBoot
firmware and sets the PCI card to be the system console?