Re: Overclocking USII

raymond.meyer%rambler.ru@localhost (Montag, 1. September 2008 01:21):
> I have Ultra 10 running at 440MHz. I found some instructions how to
> overclock the CPU in openboot:
>
> To check the speed
>
> ok .speed
>
> To set CPU speed to 480MHz
>
> ok also hidden d# 480 at-speed
> .speed
>
> The above command can be saved and run in NVRAM on every boot.
> Has anyone done this before and damaged the CPU? Do you think it's safe
> setting it 40MHz faster?
you also should keep in mind that this would be a speedup of just 9% (minus
loss on the system busses, which are still running on the old clocking) and
that any overclocking (or other action wich may cause a greater heat on the
die) reduces the time a cpu may work.
it is also possible (but unproper in this case) that the cpu freezes (this is
not a risk when just testing overclocking, because the speed will be resetted
after a reset/restart)

when you decide to do overclocking you should upgrate your cooling-system. you
also should be careful and start trying overclocking the cpu by smaller steps
(~10MHz). searching for forums and archives for reports by people who have
done overclocking on this machine could also be helpful.

ps: sry in case of a broken thread-id, "reply to list" just didn't work on the
previous mail