Re: I may be on the wrong list (NetBSD noob), sorry. Help?

Incoming from der Mouse:
> keeling%nucleus.com@localhost:
> > To: NetBSD-users <port-sparc64%NetBSD.org@localhost>
> > Subject: I may be on the wrong list (NetBSD noob), sorry.  Help?
>
> You're on port-sparc64, but the To: header makes me think you might
> think you're on netbsd-users.

That was just initial conjecture/preparation on my part.  Agree, it's
what I was looking for (I think).

> ...wait a minute.  What do myname and mygate have to do with DHCP?  I
> thought that was dhclient=YES in rc.conf.  Have I misunderstood?

That's what I was wondering.  I'd already dealt with rc.conf.

> > I'm mostly concerned with system level stuff, such as backing off bpp
> > on the X server, or enabling DHCP (got that).
>
> The X server question...maybe is sparc64-specific.  You say you're
> using a U30 and thus presumably have a PCI framebuffer and thus are
> saddled with XFree86; this is likely more an XFree86 question.

Creator 3D, stock Sun.  After some hours, X freaks out and goes
lowres; you can still see the xterms and talk to them, but X is
obviously on its knees, graphical display speaking.  Restart X and all
is well, for some time.

> > What's the NetBSD equivalent of:
> >    dpkg-reconfigure $some_server
> >    aptitude update && aptitude upgrade && aptitude install $blah
>
> Uh, I don't know; what do dpkg-reconfigure and aptitude do?

Sorry, that's debian-speak for "wizard-reconfigure $some_server";
works pretty well for the most part.

  "aptitude update && aptitude upgrade && aptitude install $blah"

means "packaging system, update yourself, update the system based on
that, then install $blah".

> > Is there a noob/users list I've missed?
>
> Well, there's netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost, which, as I mentioned above,
> it
> looks as though you might think you were sending to....

Thanks.  I'll subscribe there too.

> I don't know of any sort of NetBSD newbie guide, though I can quite
> possibly help with specific questions.  If you can get mail to me, that
> is; a lot of sending mailhosts are sufficiently broken, one way or
> another, that mail doesn't get through.  I'd actually suggest sending
> to both mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost and mouse%netbsd.org@localhost
> both; if I get
> anything, I'll reply as soon as I can.

Much appreciated.

> But note that that may be a while; for family reasons, I'm about to be
> off traveling for the next two weeks, possibly longer, and quite
> possibly may be fairly incommunicado as far as email goes.

This is not a pressing priority for me.  Enjoy your summer.  Plenty of
time to fix this, and I have homework/research to do anyway.

> > This is all centered around a Sparc U30 that appears to be extremely
> > happy (thankyou) running NetBSD, btw.

(*)
- -