Ultra 10 problem with audio

I used to be able to play music via mpd daemon on my Ultra 10. I have just
reinstalled everything from scratch and I notice the following error in mpd
log file when I try to play music files

Jun 07 22:39 : OSS device "/dev/audio" does not support 2 channels: Invalid
argument

Running audioctl -a gives me the following info

name=cs4231
play.channels=1

Why does play.channels is set to 1? I assume 1=mono 2=stereo, surely the
onboard audio supports stereo? I think oss is supposed to set the correct
audio parameters, is it the problem with oss or somebody updated NetBSD audio
drivers recently?

# uname -a
NetBSD ultra10 4.99.64 NetBSD 4.99.64 (GENERIC) #1: Mon Jun  2 16:01:22 BST
2008  root@ultra10:/opt/obj.sparc64/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/GENERIC sparc64