Choppy audio playback

Hi, I'm running 32-bit sun4u kernel with 32-bit userland on Ultra 10. I get
really choppy playback when I use audioplay to play audio files.

All my music is in aacPlus v2 format, I use faad2 to decode the file and send
it to audioplay

# faad -w somefile.mp4 | audioplay

It starts playing normally for the first couple of minutes, but then the
playback gets really choppy and skippy. It seems like the buffer gets overrun
and something goes wrong.

I have also tried

# faad somefile.mp4 > out
# audioplay out

Same things happens here too.

Anyone noticed the same thing, or has any idea what's causing this?