Re: SUNW,psycho @ E420R

On Feb 16, 2008, at 13:03, doomwarrior wrote:
Hi
I installed fresh NetBSD 4.0 on my E420R. I'm wondering about one dmesg line:
psycho1 at mainbus0 addr 0xfffc6000
SUNW,psycho: impl 0, version 4: ign 7c0 bus range 128 to 128; PCI bus 128
pci2 at psycho1 ...
why is this SUNW,psycho, shouldn't it be something like this?
psycho1 at mainbus0 addr 0xfffc6000
psycho1: impl 0, version 4: ign 7c0 bus range 128 to 128; PCI bus 128
pci2 at psycho1 ...

Of course it is just a triviality, but if you have 2 "psycho" in the machine you can't say which one is currently printing this line.

I agree. I see the same thing on my E420r (also running 4.0). However, in looking at the code, I think getting the PROM "model" information there may be of value, since it looks like it's possible that it won't *always* be "SUNW,psycho". I think the real issue is that sys/arch/sparc64/dev/ psycho.c is using printf(), rather than the aprint_*() calls. Changing that printf to an aprint_normal() will fix your issue, by prefixing the "psycho1: " to
that information.  But, I'm not supplying a diff, because that line of
output is produced by multiple printf()s, and I don't know if aprint_normal()
always terminates the line it writes.

Someone else can fix that, or if they have a suggestion on how best to do it, I'll try to find the time and I can make that printf()->aprint_*() pass
myself.  I know that's the current direction of things.

                      - Chris