Re: Acer M5229 IDE bugs (esp. on sparc64)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 03:59:53PM -0500, Rafal Boni wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Manuel.. glad to have input from someone who knows
> the code and ATA(PI) subsystem well!
>
> Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 02:17:47PM -0500, Rafal Boni wrote:
> [...]
> >>I see that wdc->dma_status is always 0x04 (WDC_DMAST_UNDER), which is a
> >>synthetic error generated only by pciide_dma_finish().  I'm guessing
> >>that the suspect pciiide_dma_finish() is the one called from wdcintr().
> >> Because the rev of the M1559 IDE controller I have doesn't have a
> >>chan-id register to determine which channel caused an interrupt, for
> >>this chip we end up *always* checking both channels, and the code in
> >>wdcintr() / pciide_dma_finish() looks very suspicious... stop DMA first,
> >>ask questions later.
> >
> >AFAIK it's not: before stopping the DMA channel, we check if the controller
> >did interrupt (status & IDEDMA_CTL_INTR).
>
> A minor point of clarification here... is that status per-controller, or
> per-channel?

It's supposed to be per-channel

> Note that this controller is running in native-PCI mode
> and there is no register to tell is which channel interrupted (see
> aceride.c, ~ line 238).  I'm wondering if one channel interrupting could
> have caused the early-DMA termination on the other.

If the IDEDMA_CTL_INTR bit is accurate, it should not. Of course
IDEDMA_CTL_INTR is only meaningfull for DMA transfers, not PIO.

One thing we could make it add a check in pciide_dma_start() that
IDEDMA_CTL_INTR isn't already set.

> >We have to stop the DMA first, because in some case the DMA engine will
> >still
> >be active at end of transfer (if the device has less data to return than
> >requested for example - as the comment says, it's a valid condition for
> >ATAPI devices).
>
> Interestingly enough, the ATAPI devices connected to this controller on
> both my machines (a V100, V120 and a T1/200) and machines Julian tested
> (a Blade 100 at least, maybe a V120 as well) both are unable to do any
> sort of DMA to/from the CD anyway.  I'm not sure it's related to this,
> but maybe... (and not just UDMA... the CD downgrades right through the
> UDMA range to MW DMA and then to PIO 4).  Of course, I have no PC's with
>  this cursed controller to test if/whether this is somehow related to
> the sparc64 platform or a generic issue ;)

From what I remember when I had such a PC, it's a generic issue.
Some controllers just can't properly do DMA for atapi devices, as they
can't handle non-512 byte transfers.

See http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2007/readings/hardware/IDE-BusMaster.pdf

> (The other reason I ask is that given what you say, I can't understand
> why FreeBSD would pre-load that register with CTL_INTR | CTL_ERR (or the
> equivalent bits there... (ATA_BMSTAT_INTERRUPT | ATA_BMSTAT_ERROR)).

This is to clear the interrupt and error bits. They are cleared by writing
a 1 to them (quite classic for bits set to 1 by hardware).
We do it in pciide_dma_init() and pciide_irqack() by writing back the
value we just read from the register.