Subject: Re: Netbooting "stupid user questions"
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/21/2007 09:39:30
On Dec 21, 2007, at 09:32, Chris Ross wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2007, at 00:12, matthew green wrote:
>> dhcp isn't working for you -- the "bootp" reply failure causes
>> ofwboot to then try bootparams.
>>
>> i recommend tcpdump to see why bootp isn't working.
>
>   I tried that.  I'm actually not seeing anything.  I suppose it
> may be some sort of additional problem with renegotiation of the
> ethernet link with the switch.  I should go watch the lights to
> rule that in/out.

   Okay.  I'm not sure why the hand-modified ofwboot I was using
earlier didn't have this problem, but switching that port on my
switch to "spanning-tree portfast" allows the interface to
negotiate quickly enough for the bootp packets to get out and
back in.  It's booting now.

   Thanks for the pointers!

                           - Chris